Santa Rosa Drug Crimes Defense
Santa Rosa Drug Crime Lawyer
Defending Clients Facing Drug Charges in Sonoma, Napa, & Mendocino Counties
Some of the most common crimes involve possessing, selling, transporting, manufacturing, or distributing illegal drugs. Wilber Law Offices, P.C. represents people arrested or charged in Sonoma, Marin, Lake, Mendocino, Napa, and Solano counties for drug-related offenses of all kinds.
Whatever drug your case involves, whether it’s methamphetamine, heroin, cocaine, crack, prescription drugs like Oxycontin or Norco, ecstasy, designer drugs, psilocybin mushrooms, LSD, or any other controlled substance, you need an attorney who has experience defending drug cases. Our skilled trial lawyers have defended countless individuals throughout the area in drug charges ranging from simple possession to drug distribution. At our firm, you will have the advantage of the team approach we provide to our clients, giving you access to the legal insight of all our drug crime defenders.
Why Hire Us?
If you or someone you love is arrested for a drug-related offense, you must have a knowledgeable lawyer on your side.
As practiced drug crimes attorneys, our team will:
- Evaluate your case
- Investigate the facts
- Handle pre-trial litigation if issues exist that warrant the dismissal or reduction of charges
- Negotiate for treatment instead of jail or a conviction where appropriate
- Try your case to a jury if necessary
Those charged with simple drug possession or even more serious drug crimes are often eligible for a case dismissal or reduced penalties by participating in treatment programs through the court or privately.
What are the Penalties for Drug Crimes in California?
You could face serious penalties if you are convicted of a drug-related crime in California.
These penalties can include:
- Mandatory drug treatment
- Hefty fines
- Community service hours
- Registration as a drug offender
- Forfeiture of your property or cash
- Jail or imprisonment
What penalties you are at risk of facing depends on the circumstances of your case and whether you are charged with misdemeanors or felonies. It also depends on whether you have prior convictions that make the current charges more serious. A wide range of consequences for drug crimes exist based on the type of charge (i.e., simple possession vs. sales), your record, what kind of drugs you possessed and how much, and the specific facts of your case.
Illegal Search & Seizure
One of the best defenses to drug charges is to contest the “search and seizure” that resulted in the discovery of drugs on you, in your car or your house by law enforcement. Police can’t stop and search you for no reason. They must have a legal justification for invading your privacy: probable cause to believe you were committing a crime, a warrant, or another valid legal exception to the general rule or your right to privacy.
If law enforcement violated your constitutional right against illegal searches when they arrested you, you have the right to have that evidence thrown out in court. However, this takes a fight. Only a skilled drug crimes lawyer can properly identify and litigate search and seizure issues on your behalf in the courtroom. Both Rachel and Ryan Wilber have successfully gotten many cases dismissed based on illegal searches. We know the laws and the procedures necessary to get illegally-obtained evidence suppressed.
Alternative Sentencing For Drug Offenses in California
California supports the idea that drug offenders often do better with a chance at treatment rather than immediate incarceration. Addiction is a struggle and doesn’t necessarily make someone a criminal.
As long as the offense is non-violent, several options exist that may apply to you in a drug charge:
- Penal Code section 1000 is a law that offers a defendant the chance to plead guilty to a drug charge but avoid sentencing for a period of time while given the opportunity to complete a drug treatment program. While the treatment is taking place, no actual conviction is placed on your record. As long as the program is completed successfully and no further crimes are committed during the “diversion” time, the guilty plea is then withdrawn and you are never sentenced — therefore no criminal conviction will appear on your record.
- Penal Code section 1210 (Proposition 36): California’s Substance Abuse and Crime Prevention Act states that those charged with “simple drug possession” shall receive substance abuse treatment and probation rather than jail. Treatment programs can be anything from residential treatment to outpatient treatment of choice. Once a program is successfully completed, proof can be submitted to the court along with a petition to have your case dismissed.
- Drug Court: This option is more intensive and usually applies to repeat offenders or those charged with more serious felony drug crimes. Drug court may be an option for you as an alternative to jail or prison, should you be willing to participate in regular testing, court dates, group and individual counseling, and homework. As you go through the program, more and more freedoms return as the court supervises your progress. At the end of the program, you may be able to have your case dismissed.
Contact Our Drug Crime Attorney Today
It’s not easy to be granted a chance at treatment instead of jail. If you want an opportunity at treatment, you need an attorney who knows your options and will be persuasive in court. Our Santa Rosa drug crime lawyers have a history of successful case results and can help with options appropriate to your situation.
Contact Wilber Law Offices, P.C. today to schedule a FREE consultation with a drug crime lawyer in Santa Rosa!
Case DismissedCase dismissed on eve of trial.
Case DismissedCase dismissed after filing, and before hearing on a motion to suppress evidence.
Favorable OutcomeClient accused of possession of narcotics for sale was convicted at jury trial – Prior to trial, the only offer extended to client was straight prison time. After trial, successfully argued to the court that client should be granted probation with the opportunity to go to ...
“If you need legal help I fully recommend them! If your looking for an experienced trial lawyer this is the team you want to hire.” - William H.
“One of the best experiences in my life. Professional, courteous and understanding through whole process.” - Scott J.
“I’ve known Ryan for the better part of 20 years, he is very passionate about his work and it shows!” - Beau K.